vendredi 22 février 2013

Interview with Leila Baghdadi


-Hello Mrs. Leila Baghdadi, thank you for this interview. First of all, we need to know more

about your career.

-It's a pleasure for me to make this interview and to see you again. As you know I am really
happy for this initiative. As for my career, I will begin with my academic background; I did
my undergraduate studies in Tunis ''El Campus'' but I finished at the University of Marseille
Aix-Provence. Afterwards, I did my master and PhD at the University of Paris I La Sorbonne
on International Trade and Development. I spent few years between Rome and Geneva
where I worked for International Organizations: the WTO (World Trade Organization)
and the ITC (International Trade Center) and when in Rome I worked for FAO (Food and
Agriculture Organization). Also, I worked as a researcher in Rome University Tor Vergata on
development and labor market issues. When I got back to Tunis I worked for UNDP (United
Nations Development Program) for 1 year before working for the University of Tunis.

-And that lead us to the second question, how did your Tunis Business School experience
started?

-Well, I heard about TBS and I was really happy about the project as I believe in the need of
English-oriented institution; a business school for students who can speak English fluently
because it's a major problem in the educational system and TBS can lead Tunisia to work
under International settings. I am a normal Tunisian coming from a middle class family and
I am not used to work in English and when I went abroad, especially in non-francophone
countries, it was really difficult to work with French which is no longer used in the
International Environment. Then, I believe in this project and I really hope that everything
will go in the best way.

Recently, the National Institute of Statistics estimated the increase of prices to almost 7%,
do you think that the government should take measures to reduce this inflation problems?

-Sometimes, governments use inflation or the increase in prices as a policy. Let me explain:
when you increase overall prices you can increase the demand and people will buy more and
more so we have more money in the economic circle which can result into providing more
jobs. The problem we are facing in Tunisia is that we have high rates of both inflation and
unemployment. .. Thus, this situation cannot be sustainable at the economic and/or at the
social level. So, yes, I think that the government must focus urgently on this problem.

-Don't you think that these economic problems are leading social problems?

-Economy and social factors are highly linked; of course when you are poor you can have all
types of social issues. Then, the economic problems are so big and if you don't know from
where to begin it might increase the social conflict which can be unstoppable at a certain
time. What I can say now, is that there is an unbreakable connection between social and 
economic factors and the problem is that we can reach instability because of an economic
problem.

-We all know that also tourism in Tunisia is especially linked to economy because it is one
of the biggest currencies. But these days it is also suffering. So, what should economists or
the government do to avoid this rising problem?


From a political point of view; foreign investors feel that Tunisia is a risky country, and
then what we should do here is to give a clear idea about what's happening in Tunisia. For
example; presenting a roadmap on the priorities for the economy (targeting inflation and
unemployment among others) is something extremely helpful to the business community

I think that a good and serious roadmap will help people to understand the new Tunisia.

-That's a great point of view. Perhaps there are some countries who are trying to help
Tunisia in its transition, and the USA has been in the first places to support by many deals
to finance the economy. Do you think that we need such support or that will increase the
dependence to the US?

-Well, I think all support is welcome but we should define the terms of support. It's like
international trade, it's good to have a deal but we need to know that it's even better to
have the best deal benefiting to Tunisian citizens in the first place.

-Yes, we should always take the best. Now what do you think of TBS as the first public
English learning business school?

-From my experience, adopting English as a teaching language is a very good and wise choice
as the best business schools in the world are English speaking. Though, in order to have an
international reputation we need support from the business environment as well as the
political environment.

-And what about the students?

-Ha! I really like TBS students, and you know that. I feel that they like the environment
despite of all difficulties and I truly understand that. My only advice for them is to follow
their dreams and never give up.

-Thank you Professor Leila, we really appreciate that.

Finally, we want to know your opinion about TBS Torch.
-Okay, TBS Torch is a very serious and interesting initiative and I like it from all clubs because
I think it gives a kind of professional experience for all the students.


Interviewed by Amal Ben Saad

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire